Friday, June 14, 2013

Life Lessons #1: Keep Calm and Ignore

It amazes me sometimes how much each day brings for us in learning. We've all already learnt so much and there's still such a long way to go, one of my most valuable lessons being the importance of being thick skinned in this world.

I for one am very sensitive and when somebody says something to me, good or bad- I tend to take it very seriously and it permeates all the way inside. Combine this with a short temper and a quick tongue and you have the recipe for disaster. A disaster for your personal wellbeing. I never really believed I could change that about me, but time has a way of doing the impossible. And for this impossibility turned possible, I am truly grateful.

Abhishek Bachchan's character says in Guru, "Agar log tumhare khilaf bolne lage toh samjho tarakki kar rahe ho", and I couldn't agree more. At every nook, turn and corner, are people who are unhappy, with themselves or with your success. They are insecure; and for many of them the best cure is to spread the negativity. They will take aim and try to hook the leash in you. The leash filled with anger, frustration, jealousy or unhappiness. And this can be done in so many ways; they will speak with you badly, try to put you down, treat you unfairly, or hundred other things. Don't give it a holding. Because when you do, when you let these things affect you, you are indeed spreading the pain. The best way to deal with it- think of your thoughts as a beautiful garden, and when you let something unpleasant affect you, think of that as allowing a dirty pig through the gates of your garden and letting it eat away at all your pretty little flowers. So lock the gates tight and very consciously decide who and what you want to let in. If all you do is react to people, then who is the real you? Respond, in a way that suits your personality, not theirs. Besides, I strongly feel that when somebody misbehaves with you it speaks volumes about their character and upbringing and very little about you.

Bottom line: Keep Calm and Ignore! 

No comments:

Post a Comment